Deborah – Study One
Read Judges 4
1. What was Deborah’s role among the Israelites? What were her duties?
2. At the beginning of Judges Chapter 4, when Ehud the last major Judge had died, what was the nature of Israel’s relationship with God?
3. Why did Deborah send for Barak in verse 6? How did he respond to her request?
4. What was Barak’s attitude toward Deborah?
5. Who was Heber the Kenite? What was his relationship with the Israelites and the Canaanites? (verses 11,12 and 17)
6. What was the result of the battle? Who won the victory? (verses 14-24)
Read 1 Timothy 3:1-13
7. How was Deborah a good leader? What qualities do we look for in leaders?
Deborah – Study Two
Read Judges 5
1. How was this chapter different to the previous one? To whom was it written, and what was being celebrated?
2. When the Israelites were called to war, what were their various responses? (verses 13-18)
3. How was Sisera’s army defeated? (verses 19-23)
4. How was Jael, wife of Heber, involved? (verses 24-27)
5. Women play a vital role in this part of Israel’s history. The usual role for women in war time was waiting anxiously at home. In this song, how does Sisera’s mother compare with:
a) Deborah, “Mother of Israel”?
b) Jael, “most blessed of tent-dwelling women”?
6. Who are God’s enemies and what fate was wished upon them by Deborah in her song?
7. What was Deborah’s wish for those who love God?
Read John 15:10 and 1 John 5:1-5
8. What battles do we face today and how can we be victorious?