Hannah – Study One
Read 1 Samuel 1:1-20
1. What kind of marriage did Hannah and Penninah have with Elkanah?
2. The times of worship and sacrifice in Shiloh would also have been opportunities for festival and feasting. Why, then, was Hannah weeping and refusing to eat?
3. What vow did Hannah make in verse 11? Why?
4. How did Eli, the High Priest, react when he witnessed Hannah praying in the Temple?
5. What did Hannah’s response to Eli reveal about her character and her relationship with God?
6. How did God bless Hannah?
Read 1 Samuel 1:21-28
7. How did Hannah fulfil her vow to God?
8. What can we learn from Hannah’s example as a mother?
Hannah – Study Two
Read 1 Samuel 2:1-11
1. What did Hannah’s prayer reveal about her understanding of:
a. God’s character
b. God’s power
c. God’s relationship with people
d. God’s relationship with creation
e. God’s judgment
2. How did waiting on God strengthen Hannah’s faith?
Read Luke 1:39-79
3. In verse 10 Hannah made the first reference in the Bible to God’s “Anointed” one who was the Messiah or Christ. What hope did Hannah claim that God’s Anointed would bring to a world where the wicked seem to prevail?
4. How was Mary’s song (sometimes called the “Magnificat”) similar to Hannah’s prayer? What was celebrated in each?
Read 1 Samuel 2:18-21
5. What had Hannah sacrificed? What had she gained?
6. What can we learn from Hannah’s relationship with God?