Messages From The Messiah
Forgiveness Study 1: God’s Promise of Forgiveness to His People Israel
Read 1 Kings 8:22-61
1. What was God’s purpose in appointing a King to rule Israel and in having a temple built for worship? (v22-30)
2. What consequences does Solomon predict will result from the sins of God’s people? (v33-40)
3. In Solomon’s prayer of dedication, what does he understand God’s purpose to be in allowing His people to suffer?
4. On what basis can they ask for God’s forgiveness and how will they know when God has forgiven them?
5. What does God expect of His people after they have been forgiven?
6. In verses 41-43 and 60, what will be another consequence of God’s discipline and forgiveness?
Read Psalm 103
7. For which of God’s qualities does David praise God?
8. The Israelites knew they had been forgiven by a favourable change in their circumstances. How do you know when you have been forgiven?
Forgiveness Study 2: Jesus Teaches about Forgiveness
Read Matthew 18:21-35
1. What question does Jesus’ parable of the unforgiving servant address?
2. What did the first servant owe and how was it to be repaid?
3. Why was his debt cancelled?
4. What response did his master expect?
5. What lesson about forgiveness is Jesus teaching in this parable?
Read Luke 7:36-50
6. How do Simon the Pharisee and “the sinful woman” each respond to the presence of Jesus?
7. What do their actions tell Jesus about their hearts?
8. How does being forgiven change us?
Forgiveness Study 3: Spreading the Messiah’s Message of Forgiveness
Read Acts 2:36-47
1. What does Peter encourage the people to do?
2. What changes in behaviour were evident when people responded to forgiveness?
3. What changes of heart?
4. How else were the forgiven people blessed?
Read Colossians 3:1-17
5. In verse 13 Paul tells the Colossians to forgive one another. Why?
6. How else are the Colossians encouraged to conform themselves to God’s image?
7. What attitudes and behaviours towards God and one another will bring God’s people blessing and peace? How will this draw others to Christ?