Judah and Tamar – Study One
Read Genesis 37:12-36
1. What was Judah’s involvement in his brother, Joseph’s, disappearance?
Read Genesis 38: 1-11
2. Why might Judah have moved away from his family and married a Canaanite?
3. What was the custom regarding a man who died without an heir? (see Deuteronomy 25:5-6)
4. Why did Tamar’s husbands Er and Onan die?
5. What was Judah’s responsibility to Tamar and to his own family?
6. What was Tamar’s impossible position at the end of verse 11? Can she remarry?
7. List Judah’s sins. Who has been hurt by them?
Read Hebrews 3:12-14.
8. Why is sin so detestable to God?
Judah and Tamar – Study Two
Read Genesis 38:12-30
1. What prompted Tamar to take action in v12-14? What did she do?
2. How did Judah react to the news of Tamar’s pregnancy?
3. What was Judah’s confession when the truth was revealed?
4. Tamar tricked Judah into making her the mother of his heirs. How were Tamar’s actions “righteous”?
Read Genesis 44:30-34
5. Judah begged for Benjamin’s life before the man he did not recognise as his brother Joseph. How has Judah changed? Who was he concerned for now?
Read Genesis 49: 8-12
6. How was Judah blessed by his father, Jacob?
Read Matthew 1:1-3
7. How were Tamar and Judah remembered in the New Testament? How did this fulfil Jacob’s blessing?
Read Proverbs 28:13
8. What can we learn from Tamar and Judah?